Makeup School: Day 13 - Oriental

Ok, the colours does make it hard
to see the actual technique.
Modelled by the cutie Annie
(no retouching!)
There's so much Asians in the world that it probably warrants a session on oriental makeup. Which is lucky for me, since I happen to be part of that crowd. In all honesty though, I realised the session was more of a 'the Caucasion interpretation of Oriental makeup'. Which shouldn't really have surprised me.

However, that's not to say I didn't learn anything. As with most makeup styles, the focal point is on eyes. Oriental eyes tend to be 'creaseless' or hooded. There is usually barely any socket, and lashes tend to be short, straight and downward pointing. If you're Asian and possess none of those characteristics, do know that I am insanely envious of you and your blessed genes!

Jealousy aside, here's how to make the most of your Asian features:

  1. Prime eyes all over lids. This now probably goes without saying. Quoting Napoleon Perdis, "Not to prime is a crime!"
  2. Colour wash over entire eyelid in a neutral colour. Most Asians from what I've seen (I'm speaking about Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans) tend to love shimmer. That's fine, I suppose; base colour and highlight all in one sweep.
  3. Using a fluffy brush or a rounded deer-foot eyeshadow brush, create a slanted reverse teardrop shape with the base of the teardrop on outer corners (use the brush to feel where socket is) and pointing down into your upper lashline. Don't drag the colour any further than halfway towards inner corners.
  4. Now blend it all in but stop just before the brow bone. I usually like to highlight on the browbone just to give it more prominence.
  5. Line the eyes close to lashline with dark brown or black pencil liner and smudge it out to blend into the shadow
  6. Curl the lashes before applying mascara. While some Asians may have long lashes, they're almost always without a curl. I have neither, so curling and mascara are an absolute must! (Although my lashes are so short I can skip both and reach straight for the falsies)

My super heavy smokey eyes for clubbing.
I think it makes me look like such a gyaru...
Smokey eyes are a big thing here. Essentially, this is the 'Asian smokey eye' technique. In fact, that's pretty much all I used to do. With no hollows or sockets, there's really only lashes, eyeliner and brows to play with. This was also the technique I've always done without knowing how to properly do it or why it suits. But flip open any oriental fashion magazine and you'd be amazed at how versatile this method is. Plus it doesn't just suit Asians! It's also perfect on younger girls or more mature ladies when strong and defined eyes are not desired.

We all had to bring in oriental models for this class and I managed to supply pretty much all of them! It's great to see that all the girls enjoyed themselves immensely and most of them promised to return as models for our assessment in a month's time.

xxEva

Tweet it! Facebook Digg Del.icio.us StumbleUpon Reddit RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...