Review: Zuca Artist Pro Case

Don't mind the box label. I definitely
got the Artist Pro!
I've been relying heavily on my Zuca Artist Pro since receiving it as a present from a supportive friend two months ago. There's a sad lack of airline-approved luggage dedicated to makeup, and most of the makeup cases I've see are a tad too big to bring on board. In fact, if you really want to nit-pick, the Zuca is probably a centimetre over the dimension limit for some Australian aircrafts.

In being on tour with the Supanova Pop Culture Expo team as their in-house makeup artist, I've had to travel interstate with my kit. A few criteria for luggage was required:
  • It has to be allowed on-board the flight. I hated the thought of powders being broken due to  rough handling, or lipsticks melted in the cargo hold. I don't know what goes on in there, so it's probably better to assume the worse.
  • Must be easily carried around during the convention. I hate lugging too much stuff around because it's heavy and I'm prone to leaving things behind. 
  • Well organised. The first time I travelled interstate, I chucked all my makeup in zip-lock bags within a normal luggage case. While that worked, it didn't look too professional.

My Zuca fits all my makeup and tools!
What I loved about my Zuca:
  • It fits everything! This baby holds a lot more than it looks, with a roomy interior that allows the odd buldge at the sides.
  • Multiple pockets. They've designed pockets on any side that was possible to have one.
  • The built-in seat! If only it was adjustable. Is that asking too much?
  • Clear, zipped pouches. It organises my makeup, stops them from moving around too much, and can be pulled out seperately.

What could be improved on the Zuca:
  • If only a few cms could be shaved on each dimension, it wouldn't be a struggled to fit in on airline overhead storages. I had to store my Zuca lengthways as the sloping overhead doesn't accept it in any other position.
  • Weight. With a carryon baggage limit of 7kgs, an empty Zuca already measures in at around 4kg. I've had to pull a few pockets out and discretely cram them into my shoulderbag as airline staff insists on measuring the Zuca on every flight due to it being a 'hardcase'. Most of the weight is due to the metal frame, which is there to hold up the built-in seat. However, I'd rather not have the seat in exchange for a lighter soft case.
  • Prone to tipping when going over bumps and down ledges. I've found the Zuca is prone to twisting and tipping to the side due to the narrow width between wheels. If the wheels and handles were installed on the longer width (the way most suitcases are), this might help to stablise it.
  • Adjustable handle height. Not sure if it's just me and my short arms, but I'd prefer if the handles could be secured at certain lengths, rather than having to extend all the way.
Zuca Artist Pro comes with 4 pouches. But I only use 4:
For bases, lips, and eye makeup, plus one for misc tools.

My Zuca can currently hold all my makeup and I carry a large tote for my hair kit, which covers everything I need for a job. While I do recommend the Zuca, it isn't perfect. I find it's more suited to transporting my kit locally, than as airline luggage.

Other tips to consider if you're planning on getting a Zuca:
  • Never use it as check-in baggage unless there's nothing breakable in there. The soft sides of the Zuca means things inside can get knocked around. Plus there's the possiblity of scratches and damage to the metal frame.
  • Get a silver frame Zuca instead of a coloured frame. I bought a black framed Zuca, only to get the underside badly scratched going over a high ledge.  :( The paint came off to reveal the very obvious silver metal underneath.

*** Unless otherwise stated, all products are bought with my own funds and I am not affiliated with any mentioned brands or sellers. Reviews are 100% of my own opinion and experiences. ***

xxEva

Tweet it! Facebook Digg Del.icio.us StumbleUpon Reddit RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...