Makeup School: Day 31 - Geisha

Geisha makeup probably works better
on an Asian face, but Samara carries it
off pretty well. :)
I've decided theatrical makeup isn't for me. There is nothing sexy about slathering the face in thick layers of grease paint and gambling with blocked pores and breakouts.

While I can appreciate a good face-painting and some designs are utterly exquisite, I can't see the appeal of caking on the makeup. And let me tell you: grease paint is thick! So if I'm not willing to slap it on my face, I wouldn't recommend it to others.

Despite this, I decided to grin and bear it in class just this once.
Ben Nye Clown White, here we go...

  1. Moisturise the face thouroughly. This is the only time I will overlook moisturising the eyelids . It will help with removing the makeup and won't leave your skin feeling completely gross afterwards.
  2. Apply primer to add another barrier layer. If the colours being used a especially pigmented, you'll thank me for this later.
  3. Start with the eyes and you'll have no regrets. Fall outs on white greasepaint is totally obvious and will require a wipe-off and reapplication of the base to remove.
  4. I played with Ben Nye's Clown White as a base. A little goes a long way and the product requires warming up before killing your brushes. I recommend using the back of the hand as a palette if you can get away with it. It's much harder to apply from a cold metal palette.
  5. Layer on the white grease paint bit by bit and dab over brush lines with a sponge for that flawless look. Don't push the makeup into the hairline if you can help it (or if the look doesn't require it) and I guarantee your model will be grateful.
  6. Apply blush with a sponge dabbed in powder to get a softer look with maximum blendability and no brush strokes.
  7. Finish off lips and eyebrows, then set the makeup with generous amounts of translucent powder.

Happy face-painting!

xxEva

Tweet it! Facebook Digg Del.icio.us StumbleUpon Reddit RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...